The call is now open for papers for the 10th annual international symposium on poetry and medicine, which is being held as a partnership between the Hippocrates Initiative for Poetry and Medicine and the Newcastle Centre for the Literary Arts.
The conference will be held at the Centre for Life in Newcastle in the UK.
Life Science Centre Times Square, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 4EP
Submit an abstract
– Oral deadline 31st March
– Poster deadline 15th April
– Authors will be informed within 1 week of submission
See below for more on themes for the conference and examples of previous conference talks.
The 2019 international symposium on poetry and medicine will include lectures, round table discussions and poetry readings.
There will be talks, discussion panel and poster sessions on literary perspectives, historical and contemporary themes, illness and poetry, poetry as therapy, poetry in the education of health professionals, and poetry as an aid to health professionals.
Areas of interest relevant to poetry and medicine include:
– ageing and chronic illness
– illness in childhood
– infectious disease including HIV
– history of medicine
– literary perspectives on poetry, health and disease
– medicine as a theme for poetry
– palliative care
– poetry for public health
– poetry for patients with dementia
– poetry in the education of health professionals
– psychological and psychiatric disorders
– support for patients undergoing diagnosis and treatment, including cancer, heart disease and stroke
See the links below for examples from previous symposia of talks on: